Monday, February 19, 2007


Pumpkin Rarebit Soup
(from "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" cookbook)

4 cups cooked or canned pumpkin
1 cup chicken stock or water
1-1/2 cups light beer or ale
1 heaping cup chopped onion
2 tbsp. butter
3/4-1 tsp. salt
2-3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
black pepper
1 packed cup grated cheddar cheese

1) Blend pumpkin & stock. Combine with beer in heavy saucepan & simmer just to boiling.
2) Saute the onions & garlic with salt in butter, until slightly browned. Add to pumpkin mixture.
3) Add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
4) Let simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes, strirring to prevent scorching.
Serve with rolls or crusty bread & salad. Serves 4-6.

4 comments:

Anna@MetaMusings said...

What is "rarebit"?

Amy said...

Well... the definition for "Welsh rarebit" is basically a combination of melted cheese and beer served over toast. I'm not sure how it came to be soup. By the way, everyone I know hates this soup, except me, which makes it sort of legendary, I guess... it makes for a bit of a smelly kitchen (to those who don't share my linking of it). I CRAVE it once a year, usually in the winter. :)

Anna@MetaMusings said...

Happy cooking! I hope you enjoy :).

Barb said...

I love it, too! And I've made it almost every October for the past twenty years or so, ever since the book came out. I have trouble getting others into it, as well, but then there's more for me. :) If you're not vegetarian, trying cooking up some bacon and sprinkling on the bits just before serving. YUM. And it's great if you can cook the pumpkin yourself, too, and roast the seeds in olive oil and salt. That's a nice addition to the soup at the table.